Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Dilly-Dawg Check up

In an attempt to "catch-up" on the blog, I am going to have to back a few months...so here goes:

On the day before Thanksgiving Dylan, Paul, and myself were up at Primary Children's for Dylan's 6 month scan. He was so brave. He asked lots of questions; wanted to know how big the tumor was, if we were going to eat at the cafeteria, and would we be there when he "waked up." We arrived bright and early, for our 7:00 sedation. We were right on schedule! As usual, the loving nurses put the iv in Dylan's foot, as per his request. He's not ready to try to "give his hand a drink" yet. His feet have worked for several years and so that is what we go with. After the poke, sleepy medicine, and 45 minute scan he was done. He woke up, as usual, just as happy as could be. He had his popsicle, oreos, apple juice, and requested wagon ride up to the 4th floor.(only this time there were NO wagons to be found, so we strapped him into a fancy red wheelchair). Dylan was super tired so he snoozed for a bit, read some books with Dad, and snoozed some more. Finally it was our turn. Dr. Bruggars, our ever loving oncologist, came in to do a well-check and Dylan was in no mood. He was so tired and "a little bit shy" so he just stared at her as she asked him questions. whatever. Because, he came out of sedation so quickly, and there was an emergency MRI scan after Dylan, his results were not ready. That was fine, except for that it wasn't--this momma's heart almost couldn't handle the wait. We decided to take Dylan downtown to see temple sqaure, and take a trip to 26th floor of the church office building...still just as fun as I remember it was when I was a kid! Dr. Bruggars called about an hour after we left the hospital and let us know that the tumor is stable. It was a quick phone call and very hurried on my end but so very welcomed! I instantly felt myself relax and breathe a little easier. It's not that I was surprised by the results, it's just nerve racking--even after 3 1/2 years! So we move forward, grateful that he is healthy and well. I am so thankful that he is doing so well. I still worry everyday about him. We still do our "shaky hands test." And we pray. We pray everyday that "Dylan's brain tumor will shrink." That will never stop. The boys both pray for that tumor to shrink and that Dylan can be healthy and strong. And he is.


No comments: