Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Prodigal Son has Returned!

Big D has come home. Who is Big D you might ask? This is Big D:

He was shot on Mt. Dutton with a muzzleloader back in Sept. of '03. I was pretty proud of him. He earned the name Big D because he was shot on Mt. Dutton. Anyway, I got him mounted and he was up in Matt's shed 'til we got into our house. Well, we moved in to our place in July and every weekend I have been wondering how to Big D back home. Thursday Veeann was going to stay the night at our place on her way out to California. Big D is making a home in her shed. She asked Matt if they could throw Big D onto their Honda Pilot and bring him down.

When I came home from work Thursday, I saw a familiar face strapped on top of a Honda Pilot. Tears began to pour down my face as the prodigal son finally made his way home. Tara and Veeann gave me a few minutes to collect my emotions and then I pulled Big D off the Pilot and put him in the garage.

There has never been such a heart felt story told of man and beast. I am tearing up writing this story. Please forgive me for the brief pause of emotions....

Connor has been fascinated with him. He calls him "anmal" (animal, that's what he calls any animal he doesn't know the name of) and "ek" (elk with no "l"). He will touch Big D and say "nice" meaning that Big D is nice and won't attack him. Here is Big D in his rightful place and with his family. He is no longer an orphan. (Ignore the green couch it's going to the DI)


11 comments:

Christian and Melissa said...

Oh Tara, your so lucky to have this little step-child. What a joy!

Sheila said...

I cant believe that Veeann was brave enough to drag that thing down on the top of her car. She really wanted him out didn't she?

Shane D. said...

Geez! that is a big Elk! I bet your wife wants to mount him over the bed...

Marci Jolley said...

Wow, that is an awesome elk and a really funny post. I like your husband already and I haven't even met him.

The Mitchell's said...

I don't know which was better reading your experience or hearing it first hand!! I will have to post some of Troy's deer. Ya know I have 5 on my front room wall!! Jealous aren't you?
So good to see you again!! I love running into you!

Midlife Mogle Girl said...

Paul, you crack me up. I am sure Tara is so thrilled that VeeAnn brought that little prize down to you. So it has found a place by the green couch. Good place for it!!!

Tara Mogle said...

If Big D behaves he may find himself a place on the wall...in the garage! But he will have to prove himself to the wife first!

Our Family said...

Wow that is a good one!! One of these days I will trophy a nice bull elk in our house.

Matt said...

For 3 years Big D and I drew close. He looked up to me as his new father. I felt like he had found a place he could call home, but I was wrong. Many a night I could hear a high pitched sound. At first I thought it was one of my dogs until one night when I had to walk out to the shed to grab some peas from food storage. In the corner, under the blue tarp I heard the sharp moan which pierced my soul. I walked over only to find that Big D had collected a puddle of tears, which I had almost mistaken for a leak somewhere until I saw a tear drop from his eye. I knew then that I had made a clear mistake in thinking Big D had found a place he could call home. Weeks later, VeeAnn and I would make the decision to send him home. The journey ends happily ever after.

Ash, O, Ava Jo and Demi Lu said...

It sucks that hes gone thats all i have to say!!! I would shop the time away but i'm just too tired to get me and Ava up and going!!!! Lol...Its hard having a child...no one told me this..Lol!!!

The Leakes said...

Paul that is freakin awesome! He is beautiful. Now about the crying, come on. Pull it together. Oh and nice job on punching Tara in the face. I am totally calling on you :) haha.