that's a lie.
i was not actually watching her.
i knew she had climbed up the bunk bed ladder. I was right there, literally three feet away from her. i could hear her laughing and babbling away at the boys. she was fine.
and then she wasn't.
i heard her little body hit the floor. lucky for
and then she was sleeping.
no joke, ten minutes after she fell, she was sleeping. panic set in immediately. all of my "stay calm...she's fine...you've dealt with way worse....she is fine damnit" ya, all of that gone. i am no medical professional but i do know that her wanting to sleep after a face plant from the top bunk of a bunkbed was no bueno.
i kept moving her around trying to see something, anything to tell me she was okay.
or not.
every time i moved her body she winced and her torso went tight. she would hold her breath when i moved her arms around. i just tried to keep my cool even though i was certain something was wrong. just not sure exactly what.
so i texted my nurse friend. in choppy text i told her what happened. the guilt sunk in as soon as i hit send. my baby fell off the top of the bunk bed ladder. she called me right away and told me a few things to check and then reminded me: do not let her go to sleep.
i managed to get a hold of Paul at work, and my mom and sister (who were on their way down to my house to surprise my kids). i set up an appointment with the doctor but i had a two hour wait. two hours? at least that gave me time to get in the shower, paul to get off work, and my mom and sister to get here
the doctor visit was quick and easy. he checked her out, sent us for x rays, and within two hours we were back getting a soft cast for what he thought was a sprain but turned out to be a fractured elbow.
how nice.
that all happened friday morning. she wore the soft cast all weekend. this morning we took her back in to the doc. for the the hard, pink, weapon of a cast!
she will wear it for 3 weeks.
wish us luck!

4 comments:
She is such a sweet little thing. You know it seems worse in your eyes than it really was. Remember kids fall and get hurt. This isn't the first and it won't be the last. I think Sammie girl likes the attention.
It's a good thing she rocks that bright pink weapon of a cast! She makes us all wish we had one! :) That girl, she just makes me want to squeeze her. She is so stinkin cute! I think every mamma has to go through a break of some sort. I dread the day that I have to, because I'm sure I will panic just like you. Get that girly feeling better. Give her more green suckers if that's what it takes! Sheesh! Palissa knows what she's talking about. :)
Love reading your blog. I read it through Google Reader so I don't leave comments often but just wanted to say hi! Your little girl is so stinkin cute. Cast and all!! Miss you!
XOXO Melanie
it's always a bummer when a kiddo breaks something but those casts are just so darn cute! hope she's getting pampered like she is the princess of the house! :)
Post a Comment