Monday, May 14, 2012

Brain Tumor Awareness

Did you know that May is the month for Brain Tumor Awareness? Well it is, and since we have a little monkey of our own with an inoperable brain tumor, we have reason to spread the word.
We have come to know lots of kids battling brain tumors. Some we have met and most we have come into contact with through blogs and email. These kids are strong. They have a determination to win. They are beautiful and I swear every single one of them has a bit of fire in their soul.

It was 3 years ago yesterday.
We were up at Primary Children's for an MRI to get a closer look at the "ill defined area of increased density..." Nothing could have prepared me. I think Paul and I knew that something was there . A few weeks prior to the MRI,  Dylan had a CT scan to "check things out," after I told the pediatrician about his tremor in his hand.
It all seems so long ago.
Then I realize that my son is only 3 years old. He will celebrate his 4th birthday this month. What a blessing it is to have him here. Healthy. Funny. And with the same bit of fire in his soul that he has always had.

Dylan's brain tumor is inoperable, meaning he will always have it. It's not going anywhere. It will always be in his brain, and Paul and I will always worry about it. Not a day goes by that I don't have some random thought about that tumor. We pray that "Dylan's brain tumor will shrink" every. single. day. He is well. "He is doing remarkable." according to his oncologist, at his last mri scan/checkup {6 months ago}. May 30th we will return to Primary Children's Hospital. We will head to the Imaging/x-ray to fill out paperwork. The nurse will take us back to our room and we look at the painted tiles on the ceiling. We will name the Disney character's sticking on the cabinet doors. The nurses will come in and give Dylan a poke in his foot--he will be brave and watch Star Wars while Dad holds him and Mom rubs his head. Then we will watch the drips go from the bag into his foot. Pretty cool. After a 30 minute fluid drip Paul will hold him in his arms while the nurses push the "sleepy medicine" into his body. He will be asleep in a few minutes. We will transfer his limp body onto the cot and watch as the nurses gently tuck him in--with his blue blanket. He will wake up a little when they put the oxygen up his nose. Paul and I will reassure him that he is ok with a little rub on his leg. Then, we turn and walk away. We will head to the cafeteria, choke down some breakfast and return to the waiting room where he will most likely be eating a popsicle, sipping apple juice and munching on some oreos. His big blue eyes will blink over and over as he tries to wake up. Paul and I will talk to him and know that the hard part is over. I will have prayed and prayed for him to be ok and then I will feel peaceful and ready to face whatever the doc has to say to us.

It's been three years since his diagnoses. The anxiety has faded but the emotions all come flooding back--even after 3 years. Dylan is strong and spunky and he we are so blessed to have him in our family. We love you Dilly Dawg!

3 comments:

Uneven Pavement said...

you guys are all so brave and strong. This brought tears to my eyes and made feel like my "problems" that I have been moping about are so small and worthless when it comes to a beautiful spirit such as Dylan. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way!

Anna said...

gosh, i know just a small part of the anxiety and angst you and paul feel when you go have his checkups... love that dylan-man! love these posts that you do that makes my heart happy for medicine and miracles.

Anonymous said...

Tara... I know this sounds really weird, but might be worth a try. I've looked into the benefits of garlic as of late and found that it cures things like cancer and tumors. I don't know if you remember Clyde Blauer who was a professor at snow, but he did an experiment with garlic and it killed all viruses, bacteria, and fungus that came in contact with it. People have been successful in treating many different things with garlic. If your interested the health food store by kohls and down east has a garlic pill that is gel based. It is mandatory to get one that is not odorless (the odorless defeats the purpose and doesn't heal like the one with odor)... they have a triple potent garlic that you could poke a hole in and give just one drop a day to your little boy.... or even one drop every 2 or 3 days (if your little one has a sensitive stomach). I've kept up on your blog and read all the struggles and hope that maybe this might be an answer to your prayers? I thought it was amazing when doing the research. It has done amazing things for me and my family!