Thursday, June 23, 2011

Swimming Lessons

I love Summer time!
I love it for lots of reasons:
swimming
sunburns
no schedule
vacations
shorts
flippy's {aka flip flops}
sprinklers
playdates
slip-n-slide
popsicles
kool-aid
and lazy days!

This summer kind of feels different.

I want my kids to swim and to love the water just like I did as a kid.
I want them to jump off the diving board, race down the tube slide, and dive for rings at the bottom of the pool.
I want them to blow bubbles, float on their backs, and monkey crawl along the wall of the pool.
I want them to feel confident in the water.
I want them to love swimming because they are good at it.
I want them to kick, splash, jump, dive, and play all day in the water.
We just finished swimming lessons.
I am so glad they are over, but even more than that...I am so glad I signed them up.
I love the water. I love to swim. I love to swim hard, to be out of breath after a few laps.

BUT...
I have fears.
They almost held me back this summer.
I almost didn't have it in me to sign my children up for swimming lessons.
I was a afraid.
Afraid of the water.
A sweet friend of mine just lost her little boy to a swimming pool accident.
My heart hurts for her. My mind almost can't comprehend it.
To see her so broken, trying everyday to put the pieces back together, hurts.
And while it makes me love deeper, find more patience for my kids, hug tighter, listen longer, and give thanks everyday that I have them...I find myself fearful of the water.

I am so relieved swim lessons are over.
I am so proud of my children for gaining more confidence in the water.
I am happy they love to swim.
I am so grateful to their sweet swim instructors.

And while my children have learned new skills, and gained more confidence...their momma has learned to trust others, and gained a greater appreciation for what swimming lessons is really all about.

No comments: