And here's why:
Yesterday we were at Primary Children's at 7 in the am for Dylan's one year MRI scan of his tumor. He had to have an IV placed, blood drawn, fluids given, and then meds were given and he was off to la-la land in a matter of minutes. Paul and I did our usual: go down to the cafeteria and try to eat breakfast, which for me always, and I mean ALWAYS includes a glazed donut with chocolate frosting. {a woman must make those babies because they are loaded with sugar and with just one bite, my nerves are put at ease....kidding. sort of. but not really} We wander the halls, get on the community {germ infested} computers on the 3rd floor to check our emails, and then head back down to the 1st floor and into the recovery room. While Dylan was sedated an audiogram was performed...he passed with flying colors! And then it was time to wake him up. He was out cold when I asked him if he wanted a popsicle. His response: a sleepy nod up and down and a crooked-still-sedated-smile. It was to die for. He loved his red popsicle. Paul recorded him trying to wake up. Hilarious and sad all at the same time. Then we headed up to the 4th floor to the oncology clinic to see the ever loving Dr. Bruggars. Have we told you how much we love her? We do. He had to have more blood drawn for a few more labs and then the doc was in. The results: "progressive mildly decreasing conspicuity....." in mom and dad terms: "Dylan's brain tumor is possibly shrinking!!!!" No joke. Can you believe it? That blasted thing is still shrinking. We are so so excited! Then....
Today I got a phone call from the ever loving Dr. Bruggars. She never calls me. Ever. I was a little shocked to hear her voice. I was really shocked when she mentioned words like: more labs, platelets, hemoglobin, neutrophil count, low numbers, concerned, bad cells take over space of good cells, can you come up tomorrow?, potential appointment in oncology and the rapid treatment unit, bone marrow test, leukemia....and on and on and on. What? not again, please oh, please oh, please not again. I used my brave voice and finished the conversation {while sitting in the hell-mart parking lot, with my kids in the backseat}. Wiped my tears away. And called Paul.
We had to go to the hospital to have more blood drawn and then we played the waiting game. Dr. Bruggers called me again. This time with great news: all is well!! She suspects human error in yesterdays labs. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Paul and I were ready to buckle up for another roller coaster ride. Our minds wandered to the worst case scenario. We've been through the hell. Dylan has been through hell. We know it all too well and so we let our minds go there. To be prepared, both mentally and physically. The battle of Leukemia would be more intense than what we were up against with his brain tumor. So we let our minds go "there" and we made arrangements, in our heads and out loud together, about how we were going to deal with this.
Thankfully, Dylan does NOT have Leukemia, or anything else going on in his little body. Thankfully, Dr. Bruggars was on top of his labs and called me to get things figured out asap. Thankfully, the blood draw went smoothly today--Dylan didn't even cry! Thankfully, we are all home, all five of us. Together. Safe. Without any scary things going on. Thankfully.
11 comments:
I LOVE THESE BABIES SOOOO MUCH!! I AM SO THANKFUL EVERYTHING IS OK.
I can't believe you had to go through scare again!I am so glad everything is GOOD. LOve you guys!
oh gosh that must've been so scary! you are the strongest parents i know and i love that you are able to share all the defeats and VICTORIES of dylan's crazy ride. love the photo of all the kiddos. i tell ya what that lil girl of yours is stunning! loves!
Wow. That's all I have to say. I'd say that scare was not "itty bitty." I'm so sorry your mind had to wrap around that for the short period it did. What a nightmare! Your kids are so beautiful! I love that picture you posted. Samantha's expression is priceless! I can't wait to get my hands on her! Hopefully, soon!
I came across your blog from Jessica Schmitt's blog. We live here in St. George and my 3 yr old boy (just turned three) has leukemia. I had posted on your other blog with dylans friends with the meeting at the park. I feel so bad because we totally missed it. We were up to primary's the day before and used Sat. to just chill so I wasn't even busy and we could have come. I would love to meet up again sometime. I think our little boys would have TONS of fun together. Our blog is princehappyfamily.blogspot.com
I am so glad that you got good news out of all you went through. It is so hard to hear bad news even when it ends up good in the end. Those emotional roller coasters are no fun. I am also part of an amazing group of ladies called "Utah Mom's of Cancer Fighting Cuties". It is on facebook and a totally private group so you have to be invited to it by an administrator. The public can not search to find it. If this is something you would be interested in we would love to have you. They are honestly my rock. When ever I need to vent I know they are the only ones that are going to totally understand what I am going through. Let me know and I can get you invited. Hopefully we can meet soon.
I'm so glad everything is okay! That is so scary! Your kiddos are just too cute!
Cute picture. I can't even imagine. So glad that everything is good.
YIPPEE!! so happy to hear that everything is okay! yay for you and dylan and your fam!
Oh my gosh, I did not know all that happened after you got home? Wow, that would have been so scary. That is crazy. Dyl acts so good, I couldn't imagine that he would have anything, he is doing so good. Glad it was good news, but sorry you had to go through all that.
I can't even imagine the "Hell" you guys went through! What a huge relief! ♫Hallelujah♫ Glad you are home safe and celebrating Birthday Week! Love the three together, so so so adorable!
aaah tara, what good news. glad your little guy is okay and the rest of you too.
Post a Comment