I have good news...
Dylan's brain tumor is minding its manners and is STABLE! (why does typing that make the tears start up again...ugh!) I don't think I can put into words how relieved I am. (no, relieved is not the right word...I don't know what is.) Dylan is 8 months out of chemotherapy. He shows no symptoms of a brain tumor. He walks. talks. jumps. throws. runs. "He is remarkable," according to Dr. Bruggars. Oh, that Dr. Bruggars. She is remarkable. She was so positive yesterday. She let me ask questions, vent my concerns, and she listened. She is honest. She doesn't beat around the bush. She looked me straight in the eye as we were leaving and said, "You guys keep doing what you're doing and be happy. You have lots to be happy about." I know I shouldn't, but I asked her about the future....chemotherapy? radiation? how soon? The answer is just what I knew it would be, "We don't know." We will continue to do MRI scans and go from there. If the tumor is minding its manners, as it has been, we will continue with regular scans and wellness checks. If there are concerns at home, in a scan, or with his pediatrician, we will go from there. I knew this. Paul knows this. I guess I just needed to hear it again. And my mom told me this morning. If that day comes, "You have to be brave." She is right. I have to be brave. I am not brave at 36 weeks pregnant. Yesterday I couldn't stop the tears through the IV pokes, him waking up right after they gave him the "sleepy meds," and then getting set up in the MRI machine. I wasn't brave and the tears just kept coming. (I think I hid them pretty well:)
While we wait for Dylan in the MRI scan we always go down to the cafeteria for breakfast--his appointment is always before 7am--we are hungry! Anyway while we were in there the operator announced over the speaker for the parents of a child to "call the operator." We watched as they gathered their stuff and ran to find a phone...we kind of chuckled at them. They had name tags and wrist bands so we knew they had a kid in surgery...their kid was probably done with surgery and in recovery so they needed to go get him. No biggie. It's totally normal to hear parents being called over the speaker, especially if your kid was having a surgery. Not even a minute later the speaker came on again, "Will the parents of Dylan Mogle please call the operator." What? Shear panic came over me for a second, just like the other parents who hear their name. Call the operator? He's having an MRI? What could go wrong? It's only been 25 minutes. So I calmly--haha-- walked to the phone and called the operator. "You need to go MRI recovery, your son is done." Wow, thanks for the scare. Usually they never call us back to recovery...we just go back there when our 40 minutes are up. We get back there and there sits Dylan awake. He won't let the nurse put him down, so she can't take care of other patients, so they called us!
We are so happy to be home. We are so thankful Dylan is doing well. We are so thankful Connor was able to come with us again so he can see what it's all about. He is so good to Dylan. He loves him so much.
Thank you all again for phone calls, texts, and emails. Life is good. We go back in for another scan in May!
12 comments:
I am so happy that your little Dylan is doing so good. What a little trooper.
yay! such good news! what a blessing!
I bet it felt so good to hear such great news! What an example you guys are!
I love you two. Thanks for your example. If you haven't read Lance Armstrong's book about his path through cancer you should.
Wade
Oh Tara. I can't even imagine what you and your family have been through. It would be so hard. I hope you and your family continue to feel comfort from up above and that your little boy continues to be stable. My prayers are with you all.
Hey, guys. I'm still stalking your blog...us Sanpeters do that, you know. :o)
I'm so thrilled little Dylan got good news! Such a little miracle boy you have. You guys never cease to amaze me how you handle everything. I hope things continue to go great for you.
- Shayla Anderson, Centerfield
I'm teary just reading your blog and I'm not prego! The Lord is watching over you! Hang in there Now for the arrival of little sis, so excited to hear.
Way to go Dylan! That was my "feel good" moment of the day for sure! I couldn't help but chuckle at the part of your story where you "calmly" walked to the phone. I can just see you "calmly" walking to the phone just like Leigh used to when she'd come home from class. Remember that?? Haha! Love you guys!
You are braver than you think Tara! Woohoo for the awesome news! I'm so happy for your little family. Good luck with the arrival of your little princess! xoxo
So happy to hear it!
Tara... you really are so brave! I can't even imagine the things that you and your family have had to go through, and you have been so strong through it all!! I am so happy to hear that things are going so well!! Dylan is a real fighter! Hugs!
(remember to call me the next time you come up! 801-641-5477)
Post a Comment