Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Visit with Dr. Twiggs

Dylan went in for his two year check up with the ever loving Dr. Twiggs. A few months late, we know! Because of all the hell he's been through the past year, we decided that a simple two year check up could wait a few months. He is "right on track" according to Dr. Twiggs. His "hand-eye coordination is right on....he's got kick in his reflexes....he speaks very clearly....oh, big boy underwear?...." The big boy underwear were hiding his diaper. Not potty trained yet, but we're on the way! Overall the report is great. He has gained 8 pounds since his last chemo treatment! That's right. Eight pounds in about 3 months. He is now in about the 50th percentile for weight. He is a bit tall for his age but he is normal.

"Normal."

Hearing those words come out of the doc's mouth almost brought tears to my eyes. Heck, I'm tearing up just replaying the conversation in my mind. Normal. Normal. Normal. My baby is normal. Yes, he has a brain tumor but as of right now, today, he is totally normal.

To have him here. Running. Playing. Chasing Connor. Playing cars, superheros, trains, cars, race track and hide-and-seek. Those are the little things that I am grateful for today. He makes our family complete. He helps me to see the bigger picture. He reminds me daily that a simple life of play-doh and matchbox cars is enough. Having an older brother is enough for him.

So while our future will always hold doctor visits, scans, and uncertainty, I am learning that today is what matters most!

instead of "cheeeeeese" he is saying, "i wuv you mommy."
oh, how I love this sweet boy of mine.

2 comments:

Kasi French said...

YAY!! for normal!

Stacy said...

That is awesome! I am so glad everything is going well for your sweet little guy! It brougt tears to my eyes reading it!