Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Date Night


Last night as I sat in room 9, in the Dixie Regional Medical Center ER, my mind was racing. Racing I tell you. I was upset, mad, sad, frustrated, annoyed (when am I not annoyed?), and as I sat there staring at Dylan I found myself smiling. So this post is NOT going to be a poor-me, poor-Dylan blab session. I won't tell you about the puke session that happened in my bed at 10:30 and the second one that happened in the car at 10:50. At night! I won't fill you in on the fever, or how rotten Dylan felt last night, or about how Dylan's port wouldn't cooperate and how the nurses had to poke his left arm for blood. I won't tell you about the jam-packed ER or about how I was slightly embarrassed that my 19 month old pulled his socks off and revealed his dirty black feet to the nurses (so he went outside without shoes...or maybe my floors need to be mopped. eh, Shoot me.) No I won't tell you any of that.

As I sat there, in room 9, from 11:00 (in the PM) to 3:00 (in the AM) I decided to think positive and be grateful that I live close to a hospital, and that we have insurance and that I don't have to worry about "how are we going to pay for this?" Yes, today...and last night, I am grateful.

I am so thankful for:
a sister who answered her cell phone at 11:00 (in the PM) so I could vent about going to the ER. Again.
binkis. and the clips that attach them to my baby's clothes so they don't drop on the ground every time he spits it out. especially in the ER.
pink puke buckets. i thought we would need one last night in the ER. luckily we did not.
alcohol swabs. the nurse must have had a never-ending pocket full of them because he just kept whipping them out to keep Dylan's port clean. thank you nurse.
ports. although Dylan's was not cooperating when the nurses tried to get blood. i was able to keep fluids in him through the port.
text messaging. i was able to keep Paul up to date on the happenings in the ER without calling every 5 seconds.
camera phones. i got some funny pictures of that little boy of mine.
big thick red towels. they clean up barf really well.
hand sanitizer. seriously. the ER. do i need to explain.
Zofran. anti-nausea medicine. for dylan, not me.
tissues. who knew they could entertain a 19 month old at midnight? they did.

Dylan and I turned our ER visit into a little date night out. We played This Little Piggy, a classic hit. Peek-a-boo. We fake slept, and snored. The pink puke bucket turned into a hat. It also added a new twist on our game of peek-a-boo. I had a water bottle. We used the lid as a teacup. And we drenched the cot he was laying on. It was awesome. We listened to music and ringtones on my phone. Yoopieyay is his favorite, but I already knew that.


Whenever I asked Dylan "Are you ready to go sleepy?" He would look me right in the eye and politely say with a little shake of his head, "no!"

See, I don't think the ER bothers Dylan . Its just another part of life for him. He isn't afraid of the nurses and doctors that enter the room. He doesn't flinch or pull away when they poke and prod him. And because it doesn't seem to bother him, I decided that I wasn't going to let it bother me either.

After all was said and done we were home and in bed by 3:10 (in the AM). We slept in til 9...a first in the Mogle home. Today Dylan is tired and groggy but he hasn't thrown up. I'll take it.

Am I looking forward to another date night. Ya, but next time can we go somewhere with better food?

Here he is letting his dad know that he is #1

11 comments:

Jillyan said...

Tara, I am always amazed at how you deal with things. I wish I could more like you. You always look and the bright side and I really admire that about you. You are an amazing mom and your boys are lucky to have you!

Collette said...

Oh man. We're thinking about you guys.Dylan is a cutie and seems to be handling everything so well.

Melissa Hallman said...

Tara, You should read my blog that I wrote last night about my friend. I guess it takes "Special" Moms to do Special things with little boys. Who have ports and have to get blood drawn. And sit in the ER all night long.... Unbelieveable!! WE are the REAL Heros!! I know what you went through sitting in the ER. It's not easy... but, Boy its worth it! Isn't it??!!?? Keep up the Good work! Remember to hang a "Gold" Ribbon on your Christmas Tree for Childhood Cancer, In honor of your little boy and of course for my little boy too and I will do the same!!

Kim said...

Tara, you, Dylan, Paul, and Connor are AMAZING! You all go through so much, yet you're all so strong and amazing. I so admire you!

Wade, Jenny, and Girls said...

What a neat post. He is such a doll. I can't help but smile when I look at him.

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you posted that. It was precious. I'm so glad to call such strong people (spiritually and emotionally) my friends. Remember I'm only a few blocks away if you need anything.

Kasi French said...

You continue to amaze me! Love and prayers to my favorite Gunnison originated {partly} family!

Anonymous said...

Cute post. You are such a great mom. I am so sorry that he is going through so much crap. I cannot imagine how that must be for you. YOu are so strong!

Amber said...

Tara, I hate to hear that little Dylan has to go through all these horrible moments. I hope things get better for him and also for you family. You are a very strong woman and an amazing mother. Stay strong!!

Heidi and Josch said...

oh my gosh. he's so cute. way to look at things with such a positive attitude...as always. so why was he throwing up?

The Rollo Crew said...

First...I love reading your posts!! Second...are you going to be near Ephraim during the holidays? I will be in E-town between the 18th through the 25th so if you are in town we should get together for lunch. May be invite others in the area since I couldn't come last time? Let me know!
XOXO Melanie