Monday, April 20, 2009

Small Obsessions

Some of my obsessions are, in no particular order:

food
shopping
my kids
cereal...buying and eating it :)
Paul
reality tv...lame I know, I can't help it
and....
couponing! (well its becoming a big obsession)

Seriously. I have been using coupons off and on through out my entire married life.....5 years this year....and really haven't seen too much success. I do like the idea of saving money but it has always seemed so time consuming....as if I don't have any time on my hands, hello blog?! Things are slowly changing, however. I went to a coupon class a few weeks ago and have been inspired! (I have been to a few classes through enrichment activities but this one topped the list for sure.) This lady from grocerysmarts.com came and taught a coupon class and actually showed us her techniques for using coupons. I now know that I can do this. In fact now there is no excuse for me NOT to use them!

Today I ventured off to Albertsons. They are having an ok sale this week. Certainly not like last week's sale but it was a good one none the less. I ended up with 13 boxes of cereal, 2 boxes of granola bars and a box of stinky Spongebob snacks, which were NOT on sale. So here are my results!
Total value of purchase: $72.77
Total saved: $51.00 (oh ya, thats right 51 buck-a-roos!)
Total spent: $21.77
Total savings percentage: 70%

The results are slowly making a difference in our grocery budget. I have a lot to learn but the only way Iam going to learn is if I keep on spending....right? just kidding Paul!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriouly will you tell me how you do it. I have a hard shopping and saving money.

Haylee said...

I tried the whole coupon thing, and am like you WERE.....takes too much time and I dont save enough to make it worth it. You may have to share your secret to get me interested again :)

Katie McCaul said...

That is awesome!
That sounds perfect I might be going down this weekend also...so let me know if you are and I will do the same:)

VeeAnn said...

Holy criz-ap! That's a big savings.

Our Family said...

my my my that is a kick butt job!! This coupon thing I really should do myself

Kelly said...

We love albertson's cereal sales. we always come home with over 30 boxes. I'm not kidding.

Christian and Melissa said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Alberstons! I'm a Pinching Your Pennies addict. I just got back from "Albies" (yes, I can even use the couponer lingo)because I had to hurry and use my coupon doublers! Check this out, I got 4 bottles of Got2B Glued hair gel for about $.30 each! Considering that the non-sale price is about $6.50 a bottle, I'd say I got a pretty sweet deal! It's such a rush and you just want to shout it out from the rooftops!

Grant and Candice said...

I Love couponing also. I can't wait to see how much I save every time I go to the store. I think I have turned into a coupon junkie!

Heidi and Josch said...

one thing that i hate about the coupon thing is that it seems like the same coupons in the paper week after week. i tried it for a year. probably saved $20. lol. i got so sick of taking the time to do it and not feeling like it saved me much, so i quit. i wish i knew how to do it better. there is a lady in our ward that is a total pro, but she goes to like 5 different stores every week to get all of the good deals. like seriously...who has time for that? and arent you spending more money on gas to drive to all the stores than how much you are saving??? (that didnt make sense, but you get it, right?)
i just have a bad attitude about it cuz i dont know how to do it. when you get it all figured out, give me some tips!
it seems like a good way to build up your food storage, but not if your family doesnt eat cold cereal!...i know, we need to be more like you tara!