My grandpa is one of my heroes. He is strong. He has a good heart. He has taught me a lot of things throughout my life. He taught me the importance of saying please and thank-you.
"People will want to be your friend if you always say please and thank-you"
"People will want to be your friend if you always say please and thank-you"
he told me. I grew up just three houses away from his. I saw my grandpa daily as a child. When my mom was single, Grandpa Bauer was there, like a dad, for my siblings and I. He broke up fights, always had the spare key if we were locked out, fixed bike tires, always had a cookie when we came to his house, heck, he even paid us for our good grades in elementary school! My grandpa is one of the greatest men I know.
There are many benefits to living in St. George but one that I cherish most is how close we live to my grandpa. My kids are growing up knowing their great grandpa. They get to spend time with him. Run in his backyard, watch movies at his house, enjoy cookies and treats at their "special table" he has for them. I get to talk and spend time with him just like I did when I was a little girl.
My grandpa has always called himself "Grandpa Great" to the great-grandkids. My sister's children and my own boys think he is saying "grandpa grape" so that is how they refer to him.
Grampa Grape.
I love it.
I hope they always call him that.
My grandpa just recently lost his third wife to a massive stroke. He has been depressed and lonely without his Nellie around. He is also losing his memory. My mother and her siblings are taking turns coming to St. George to be with him. While I am not able to actually go to his home and be with him night and day, I have so much love and respect for him that I am trying to do my part. I know that my grandpa loves to have children around and so we try to visit him as much as possible. My boys love to give Grandpa Grape high-fives and hugs. They love to play at his house and eat his treats.
I know that my grandpa will never read this post but I hope he knows how much I love him and how proud I am to call him Grandpa.
Grandpa with Connor and Dylan about 6.2008


2 comments:
What a beautiful post Tara. I love Grandpa so much also and hope we get to spend a few more years with him in our life. I love the pictures with the Great Grandkids, especially the one with cute little Sam. I can't wait to meet her!
Love you!
Cindy
I love the name! So sweet! You're so lucky to you get to be so close to him. Miss you like CRAZY!
Post a Comment