(Today was kind of a long day and so is this post!)
Today Dylan woke up in a bed that was not his. He tried a new flavor of yogurt (and it was some Carb-control something or other, thanks uncle Tom). He rode in a car that was unfamiliar. He ate at a restaurant he has never been to: Hires, in downtown Salt Lake, have you eaten there? so yummy! He rode through streets in Salt Lake that he had never been on. He saw homes that he will probably never see again.Today I woke up in a bed that was not mine, with Dylan scrunched up in lower back. On a normal day I would have moaned and groaned, mumbled for Paul to move him over...out of my lower back, and then kept on sleeping. Instead, I welcomed his little 23 pound body (yes, he is gaining weight like a champ!) rolled up next to me. Instead, I rolled out of bed and watched him sleep for a few minutes before it was time for me to get up and get ready for the day.
Today I tried the Carb-control yogurt that I choked down Dylan's throat. I think I will stick to Yoplait. Thank you very much. I too, rode in a car that was unfamiliar but the company, my sister-in-law Marie, was great! We talked and laughed and enjoyed our drive from South Jordan to Primary Childrens. We ate at Hires for lunch. It was truly fabulous.
Today Dylan met another new nurse: Michelle. She was great with Dylan. She was gentle and loving and looked into his big blue eyes and told him he was so handsome. She also has a son named Dylan, he is twelve. He does NOT have a brain tumor like my Dylan. She loved his red hair. I think all the nurses love Dylan's red hair.
Today Dylan encountered another round of chemotherapy. Treatment #4...8 more to go. I wish that chemo was unfamiliar to him. I wish that he didn't know where the toys were located. I wish that he didn't know that there are drinks and pudding and all sorts of treats in the fridge at the oncology clinic infusion center. I wish that the toys that he played with while getting his chemo weren't considered "contaminated" when he was done playing with them. I wish that he didn't have to get poked...even if the area being poked is numb. I wish that he didn't have to go up on that 4th floor.
Today I am so thankful that my son, my 15 month old baby, only has to have his chemotherapy treatments once a month, not once a week. His treatment plan is scheduled for 12 months, not 26 months.
Today we met some new friends up on that blasted 4th floor. Another chemo friend who happens to be 16 months old. Just one months older than Dylan. I am realizing a little more each day that it could be worse for us.
Today I am aware that Heavenly Father still allows miracles to happen:
Dylan's tumor is shrinking. His motor skills are improving. His hair is still on his head. He can go up and down stairs. He is starting to say words. He is consistently gaining weight. He has not been sick with a cold or anything like that. He is happy everyday. He is a miracle.
Today I am so grateful for my kids. They keep life busy and fun. Connor is so full of life and personality. Dylan has a smile that melts my heart. They bring so much joy and laughter into our home. I love them so much. I feel so blessed and humbled that Heavenly Father has trusted me to be their mom!
Now on a lighter note. Connor is finally strong enough to take on the task of pulling Dylan around in the wagon. Connor and Dylan are enjoying the fun, and I am enjoying the break!

10 comments:
tara i love how you write... your boys are so lucky to have such a great family. we miss you so much and hope to see you soon!!!
You are seriously my hero Tara-son!
you have the best ways of sayin the things you do!! I love how your boys are just hanging out in the yard together!! Good to hear the good news of the blasted tumor SHRINKING!! that is definitaly something to celebrate....Cheers!!
I am so admired by your strength. You are a great example.
What a precious post! I'm amazed at your strength and at the strength of your baby boy! You are an inspiration!
TARA! I am now crying...just got mad at Reddek and then I read your sweet post...I need to stop taking my boy for granted. You are an example to many! Keep the faith. Your boys are so cute. Glad to hear the tumor is shrinking and he hasn't been sick. We love you guys.
Loved the post, you are an amazing girl, and Dylan is heeman going through all of this being so strong.......you do know who heeman is though right?
Tara,
Thanks for the post, you make me want to be a better me... :) love you all.
You are amazing! And it's so good to hear he's doing better. I hope things continue to go well!
Muffy, I seriously love you! you are so stong, and your son is so brave and truly is a miracle! I love reading your posts, and how positive you are about everything. Thanks for being such an inspiration!
Post a Comment